The below positions have been filled for 2023. Please get in touch in January 2024 to apply for Summer 2024. Thank you.
Position#1: May or June thru October minimum. Candidates who can commit past October will be given priority. Four days on, three days off throughout the summer season, may transition to five days a week during slower months when we downsize our workforce. Full-time. $20/hour; two months unpaid vacation per year when we are closed in April and November.
Position #2: One to three months during the peak summer season; June 15 – September 15th. Full-time. Four days on, three days off. Focus: Housekeeping, shuttling. Great option for teachers or students who have the summer off. Must have license, good driving record, confident driver. $17.50/hour.
Watch this video to see what it’s like to work at the Notch!
- Valid driver’s license.
- Meet Covid policies
- Commitment to joining us in providing an anti-racist, trans/queer-friendly, inclusive and loving environment for guests and staff
Here at the Notch we all wear multiple hats throughout the day. We are looking hire to people in all three of the following areas, with the ideal candidate having proficiency in a combination of two or more areas:
- Hospitality management services: Booking software management, bill pay, supply and merchandise inventory and ordering, maintaining files, phone management, meeting scheduling.
- Guest services: Welcome guests when they arrive, process payments, provide hostel tours for new guests. Answer calls and respond to texts from guests and assist them in making reservations. Answer questions about hostel policies/services.
- Shuttling: Drive our 12-passenger van to and from local Appalachian Trail-heads to transport our guests hiking the AT.
- Daily cleaning, laundry and weekly deep cleaning.
- Requires physical ability to climb three flights of stairs multiple times a day carrying laundry
- Our cleaning standards are high; apply to this position if you enjoy cleaning, organizing, and making beds
- Maintenance: Assistance with property management including routine property maintenance, garden and lawn care, trash/recycling disposal, event set up, painting, and snow removal.
- The majority of this position is outside in summer and includes landscaping, gardening, exterior/grounds repair and maintenance, painting, mowing, weed whacking, light chainsawing and pruning, etcetera.
- Light carpentry, gas-powered lawn equipment knowledge is a plus but not required.
Hours: Full-time positions are salaried and require approximately 40 hours per week. Part-time positions are up to 20 hours per week or TBD. Some weeks and months will be busier than others, and hours will fluctuate accordingly. During the work season, two days off in a row per week are guaranteed. In the summer, we try to switch to a 4-10 schedule, where you work four ten hour days and then have three days off.
Compensation: Starts at a minimum of $17/hour; more depending on the candidate and length of time commitment.
Vacation: Two months unpaid vacation time are given per year, in April and November.
Housing option: Housing at our hand-built, heated and air-conditioned tiny house is available May – October for one full-time employee. The tiny house has a kitchenette with a foot-pump sink, queen bed, and guest bed/couch. Bathroom/shower is located in the main house.
Housing in our Bear Notch Cabin is available for one short-term summer employee, June 15 – September 15 or for a month during this period.
These housing options include 24/7 access to the property, kitchens, food storage areas, shower/bathroom facilities, gardens and grounds, as well as overnight guest privileges. Rent is equivalent to 12 hours of work per week and includes electric, wifi, heat, air conditioning, water, trash disposal, plowing, parking, mail access, and laundry.
Please note: The hours/pay for this position are subject to change based on the ongoing pandemic’s affect on our business (i.e. another shutdown, etc.). Unemployment support is available should this be the case.
Email resume and cover letter to Serena@NotchHostel.com to apply.