Welcome, AT hikers! Making it to or through the White Mountains is a huge accomplishment. Stop in at the Notch to recuperate, relax, and resupply.
We serve AT hikers from both Kinsman Notch and Franconia Notch and are in an ideal location for slackpacking over Kinsman Ridge. We are located 1.0 miles west of North Woodstock on Rt. 112 (Lost River Road), the same road as the Beaver Brook/Kinsman Ridge trailhead. View the map.
Directions to the hostel:
From Franconia Notch/Liberty Springs/Flume Visitor’s Center/Rt. 3: We are about 7 miles from the trailhead. Head south on Rt. 3, go through downtown N. Woodstock. From the junction of Rt. 3 and 112 (set of lights in North Woodstock, by Truant’s Tavern and the Imperial Palace chinese restaurant) turn right onto Rt. 112 west. We are 0.9 mi. down 112 W on the right.
From Kinsman Notch/Beaver Brook trailhead: We are on the same road – Rt. 112 – about 5 miles east of Kinsman Notch. The hostel is a large white farmhouse with multi-colored prayer flags on the porch.
Send mail drops to: c/o The Notch Hostel, 324 Lost River Rd, North Woodstock, NH 03262. Non-guests can send and pick up their mail here at no charge.
2021 SHUTTLING SYSTEM HAS NOT YET BEEN DETERMINED. PLEASE USE THE SERVICES BELOW FOR ALL SHUTTLES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Aly’s Rides (603) 348 3914 ($5 per person)
Shuttle Connection: (603) 745-3140
Kinsman Ridge: We are in an ideal location for slackpacking over Kinsman Ridge (Kinsman Notch to Franconia Notch and vice versa) and have a large selection of slackpacks at the hostel for guest use. See above for shuttle information.
Included with your stay
- Bed, fresh linens, towel.
- Showers (shampoo, conditioner, and soap provided)
- Group laundry service is included — this means we wash your laundry along with other AT hiker guests’ laundry.
- Prefer not to wash your clothes with others? Individual wash and dry can be done at the local laundromats
- Coffee, tea, make-your-own pancakes
- All other amenities listed on our amenities page
Supplies and food sold on-site
Soda and Gatorade sold on-side.
BIKES AVAILABLE, $5/DAY: We provide bikes to rent for the day with locks and bike lights. 0.75 mi. to Smileys (food), 0.9 mi. to downtown N. Woodstock, 2 mi. to downtown Lincoln.
Dogs are welcome at the Notch! Let us know ahead of time so we can save a space for you in the dog bunk room. Check out the Rooms and Rates page for our Dog Policy.
Town Food/Services/Resupply Info
NORTH WOODSTOCK (Closest to hostel. Listed in order as you head north up Main street)
- Smiley’s is a small market/produce/deli/grocery store, 3/4 mile east on our road (turn left out driveway). Sells bread, eggs, milk, fancy chocolate, meat, cheese, pasta, sauce, Pasta Sides, etc. Cheaper produce than Price Chopper. Open 9-7.
- Imperial Palace Chinese/Japanese Cuisine (L = left side of road))
- ONLY DELIVERY IN TOWN! BUT GOOD!
- 603 745 3388
- Peg’s Breakfast/Lunch, open 5:30am – 2:30 pm (L)
- ATM by the Chamber of Commerce (R)
- Union Bank (R)
- The Landmark II Greek restaurant (R)
- Woodstock Station (L) *RECOMMENDED*
- Famous brewery/restaurant, ask for the Thru Hiker Rye and the Death by Burger. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, bar, live music.
- Post office (L)
- Mon – Fri 9:30-12:30 and 1:30-4:30. Sat 9-12. Closed Sundays.
- Wayne’s Market (L) 5am-10pm daily
- Gas station/convenience store/deli/market.
- Subs made to order.
- Huge beer selection.
- Basic toiletries/resupply stuff.
LINCOLN (listed in order as you head east down Main street)
- Rite-Aid (R) 8am-9pm
- Art’s Outdoor Outfitters (R) – open 9-6 daily
- in plaza before Price Chopper
- Camping/outdoor supplies, kayak/canoe rental
- Sells 4oz fuel canisters
- Purple Tomato (R) – open 10-6, closed Tuesdays
- Local health food store. Great pre-made meals, too.
- Price Chopper (R) – open 24/7
- Largest grocery store in town. Sells beer and wine.
- Family Dollar: 9am-9pm, next to Price Chopper.
- Lincoln post office: Next to Family Dollar.
- 8am-5pm Mon – Fri, 8am-12pm Sat, closed Sun.
- Linwood Medical Center (L)
- 115 Main St, Lincoln, NH.
- (603) 745-8136
- No walk-ins, must call ahead
- Gypsy Cafe (L) – our favorite restaurant. Food from around the world.
- Peaked Moon Bakery (R) – amazing fresh breads and baked goods
- Lahout’s Summit Shop: (L)
- Large hiker gear shop/outfitter. In same shopping plaza as Aubuchon Hardware.
- 165 Main St., Lincoln, NH.
- 9:30am – 5:30 pm Mon – Fri, 9 am – 5:30 pm Sat, 9am-5pm Sun.
The Notch Hostel is part of the AT Passport Program, so be sure to get your passport stamped when you visit us!