Welcome, AT hikers! Making it to or through the White Mountains is a huge accomplishment. Stop in at the Notch to recuperate, relax, and resupply.
We serve AT hikers from both Kinsman Notch and Franconia Notch. We are located 1.0 miles west of North Woodstock on Rt. 112 (Lost River Road), the same road as the Kinsman Ridge trailhead. View the map
Kinsman Ridge: We are in an ideal location for slackpacking over Kinsman Ridge (Kinsman Notch to Franconia Notch). Slacking is included as part of our shuttling package and we have a large selection of slackpacks at the hostel for guest use.
Directions to the hostel:
From Franconia Notch/Liberty Springs/Flume Visitor’s Center/Rt. 3: We are about 7 miles from the trailhead. Head south on Rt. 3, go through downtown N. Woodstock. From the junction of Rt. 3 and 112 (set of lights in North Woodstock, by Truant’s Tavern and the Imperial Palace chinese restaurant) turn right onto Rt. 112 west. We are 0.9 mi. down 112 W on the right.
From Kinsman Notch/Beaver Brook trailhead: We are on the same road – Rt. 112 – about 5 miles east of Kinsman Notch. The hostel is a large white farmhouse with multi-colored prayer flags on the porch.
We run shuttles for AT hikers from June 1 – Oct. 1.
$5 shuttling package: Includes 1 trailhead pickup, 1 trailhead dropoff, and/or 1 round-trip town resupply per guest.
How to pay: Give cash to driver. To pay card, note on your camp store sheet.
To request a shuttle:
- Sign up for shuttle on porch whiteboard.
- If on the trail, TEXT (preferred) or call us to reserve a pick up.
- Note: Must sign up on porch whiteboard or text/call the Notch to reserve shuttle – if no requests, shuttle does not go.
Notch Summer 2016 Shuttling Schedule
|Early bird trailhead dropoffs, 7:30 – 8 am
7:30 Departs Notch Hostel
7:40 Kinsman Notch
7:45 Notch Hostel
8:00 Franconia Notch
10 – 10:45 am
10:00 Departs Notch Hostel
10:10 Kinsman Notch
10:25 Lincoln Pricechopper
10:40 Franconia Notch
2:00 Departs Notch Hostel
2:10 Kinsman Notch
2:25 Lincoln Pricechopper
2:40 Franconia Notch
5:30 – 6:15 pm
5:30 Departs Notch Hostel
5:35 Lincoln Pricechopper
5:45 Franconia Notch
6:00 Kinsman Notch
6:10 Lincoln Pricechopper
6:15 Return to Notch Hostel
- BIKES AVAILABLE, $5/DAY: Everything is behind house, under deck. 0.5 mi. to Smileys (food), 0.9 mi. to downtown N. Woodstock, 2 mi. to downtown Lincoln.
- LONGER DISTANCE SHUTTLING: some longer distance shuttling available – ask to speak with Kayla Knott
- “THE SHUTTLE CONNECTION”: local hiker shuttle service, 6:30 am – 2 am. 603 745 3140. $5 for ride to town, $10 to trailhead PER PERSON.
- NOTCH TAXI: (603) 991-8777
Town resupply info!
- Large grocery, beer and wine store.
- Lincoln, NH.
- Open 24/7.
- Lahout’s Summit Shop:
- Local hiking gear shop/outfitter. In same shopping plaza as Aubuchon Hardware.
- Within walking distance of Pricechopper.
- 165 Main St., Lincoln, NH.
- 9:30am – 5:30 pm Mon – Fri, 9 am – 5:30 pm Sat, 9am-5pm Sun.
- Post office:
- One in Lincoln, one in N. Woodstock
- Lincoln PO is located in same shopping plaza as Pricechopper.
- 8am-5pm Mon – Fri, 8am-12pm Sat, closed Sun.
- Linwood Medical Center
- 115 Main St, Lincoln, NH.
- Within walking distance of Pricechopper
- (603) 745-8136
- No walk-ins, must call ahead
The Notch Hostel is part of the AT Passport Program, so be sure to get your passport stamped when you visit us!
Send maildrops to: c/o The Notch Hostel, 324 Lost River Rd, North Woodstock, NH 03262. Non-guests can send and pick up their mail here at no charge.
Included with your stay
- Bed, fresh linens, towel.
- Showers (soap provided)
- Laundry service (arrive by 6 pm)
- Coffee, tea, make-your-own breakfast items
- All other amenities listed on our amenities page
Supplies and food sold on-site
See our amenities page for info about our camp store, breakfast, pizza, and ice cream.
No hard liquor; beer and wine in moderation.
Dogs are welcome at the Notch! Let us know ahead of time so we can save a space for you in the dog bunk room. Check out the Rooms and Rates page for our Dog Policy.