Welcome, hikers! Making it to or through the White Mountains is a huge accomplishment. Stop in at the Notch to recuperate, relax, and resupply.
We serve AT hikers from both Kinsman Notch and Franconia Notch. We are located 1.0 miles west of North Woodstock on Rt. 112 (Lost River Road), the same road as the Beaver Brook/Kinsman Ridge trailhead. View the map
Kinsman Ridge: We are in an ideal location for slackpacking over Kinsman Ridge (Kinsman Notch to Franconia Notch). We provide slackpack shuttles and have a large selection of slackpacks at the hostel for guest use.
Directions to the hostel:
From Franconia Notch/Liberty Springs/Flume Visitor’s Center/Rt. 3: We are about 7 miles from the trailhead. Head south on Rt. 3, go through downtown N. Woodstock. From the junction of Rt. 3 and 112 (set of lights in North Woodstock, by Truant’s Tavern and the Imperial Palace chinese restaurant) turn right onto Rt. 112 west. We are 0.9 mi. down 112 W on the right.
From Kinsman Notch/Beaver Brook trailhead: We are on the same road – Rt. 112 – about 5 miles east of Kinsman Notch. The hostel is a large white farmhouse with multi-colored prayer flags on the porch.
Notch Summer AT Shuttle Schedule
To request a pick up: If on trail, text or call us at 603-348-1483. If at the hostel, sign up on the porch whiteboard. Please let us know if you need a ride!
These shuttles run every weekday, June 1 – October 1:
Shuttle departs at times listed below — meet on porch 5 mins before. Thanks!
Free trailhead dropoff
Kinsman Notch (Beaver Brook Trailhead): 7:30 AM
Franconia Notch (Liberty Springs Trailhead): 7:45 AM
Free trailhead pickup
Kinsman Notch: 2:35 PM
Franconia Notch (Flume Visitors Center): 3:00 PM
Free town resupply run at Price Chopper
Departs Notch Hostel: 5:00 PM
Pick up at Price Chopper: 6:00 PM
Slackpack (free with 2nd night)/evening pickup ($5)
Franconia (Flume Visitors Center) pick-up: 5:30 PM
Kinsman Notch pick-up: 5:50 PM
For pick-ups outside these times/locations:
Staff (Serena, Bookie, Shannon, Justin) may be hired for other shuttles, as our work schedules allow. Time/cost TBD by hiker and staff member. Approx. $5 to/from town, $10 to/from trailhead. Share rides to split cost.
We live in a major tourist town, complete with our own local taxi service, The Shuttle Connection. Operates 6:30am – 2am daily, best for local trips. 603-745-3140. Approx. $5 for ride to/from town, $10 to/from trailheads. Warning: They charge PER PERSON – not good for large groups. Call ahead if possible as they can run late during busy season.
We tend to have almost all drivers/non-AT guests on weekends, and the AT guests we do have may be on a different schedule. We will help weekend AT guests arrange for rides as needed, whether from us, the local shuttle service, or one of our many driving guests who is headed the same direction.
BIKES AVAILABLE, $5/DAY: Everything is behind house, under deck. 0.75 mi. to Smileys (food), 0.9 mi. to downtown N. Woodstock, 2 mi. to downtown Lincoln.
TOWN FOOD/SERVICES/RESUPPLY INFORMATION
NORTH WOODSTOCK (Closest to hostel. Listed in order as you head north up Main street)
- We have a camp store upstairs with cold drinks, ice cream, frozen pizza, snacks, Ramen, MountainHouse meals, etc. We also have a farmstand on the porch.
- Smiley’s is a small market/produce/deli/grocery store, 3/4 mile east on our road (turn left out driveway). Sells bread, eggs, milk, fancy chocolate, meat, cheese, pasta, sauce, Pasta Sides, etc. Cheaper produce than Price Chopper. Open 9-7 daily.
- Imperial Palace Chinese/Japanese Cuisine (L = left side of road))
- ONLY DELIVERY FOOD IN TOWN! BUT GOOD!
- 603 745 3388
- Truant’s Tavern – Sports bar and grill (R = right side of road)
- Peg’s Breakfast/Lunch, open 5:30am – 2:30 pm (L)
- Cascade Coffeehouse (L) *has wifi*
- ATM by the Chamber of Commerce (R)
- Union Bank (R)
- The Landmark II Greek restaurant (R)
- Woodstock Station (L) *RECOMMENDED*
- Famous brewery/restaurant, ask for the Thru Hiker Rye and the Death by Burger. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, bar, live music.
- Post office (L)
- Mon – Fri 9:30-12:30 and 1:30-4:30. Sat 9-12. Closed Sundays.
- Wayne’s Market (L) 5am-10pm daily
- Gas station/convenience store/deli/market.
- Subs made to order.
- Huge beer selection.
- Basic toiletries/resupply stuff.
LINCOLN (listed in order as you head east down Main street)
- Rite-Aid (R) 8am-9pm
- Art’s Outdoor Outfitters (R) – open 9-6 daily
- in plaza before Price Chopper
- Camping/outdoor supplies, kayak/canoe rental
- Sells 4oz fuel canisters
- Purple Tomato (R) – open 10-6, closed Tuesdays
- Local health food store. Great pre-made meals, too.
- Price Chopper (R) – open 24/7
- Largest grocery store in town. Sells beer and wine.
- Family Dollar: 9am-9pm, next to Price Chopper.
- Lincoln post office: Next to Family Dollar.
- 8am-5pm Mon – Fri, 8am-12pm Sat, closed Sun.
- Linwood Medical Center (L)
- 115 Main St, Lincoln, NH.
- (603) 745-8136
- No walk-ins, must call ahead
- Gypsy Cafe (L) – our favorite restaurant. Food from around the world.
- Peaked Moon Bakery (R) – amazing fresh breads and baked goods
- Lahout’s Summit Shop: (L)
- Large hiker gear shop/outfitter. In same shopping plaza as Aubuchon Hardware.
- 165 Main St., Lincoln, NH.
- 9:30am – 5:30 pm Mon – Fri, 9 am – 5:30 pm Sat, 9am-5pm Sun.
LONGER DISTANCE SHUTTLING: some longer distance shuttling available
NOTCH TAXI: (603) 991-8777
The Notch Hostel is part of the AT Passport Program, so be sure to get your passport stamped when you visit us!
Send maildrops to: c/o The Notch Hostel, 324 Lost River Rd, North Woodstock, NH 03262. Non-guests can send and pick up their mail here at no charge.
Included with your stay
- Bed, fresh linens, towel.
- Showers (soap provided)
- Laundry service (arrive by 6 pm)
- Coffee, tea, make-your-own breakfast items
- All other amenities listed on our amenities page
Supplies and food sold on-site
See our amenities page for info about our camp store, pizza, and ice cream.
No hard liquor; beer and wine in moderation.
Dogs are welcome at the Notch! Let us know ahead of time so we can save a space for you in the dog bunk room. Check out the Rooms and Rates page for our Dog Policy.